As much as I personally love finding new foods to eat, I feel that much better when I can share some of the findings with family and friends. Though, it would be fair to say I don’t always remember to get to a city supermarket for some last-minute local food souvenir shopping.
That’s a big part of where airport supermarkets shine. Besides being good places to buy snacks and sandwiches at downtown prices — $6.99 Chex Mix at Hudson News, I’ll see you in hell — they’re typically found before security checkpoints (so that anyone could get their shopping done), and if you can’t donate them, are good places to use up those coins weighing down your pockets.
Although they are most commonly found in European airports, Asia sports a handful, too.
n.b the * next to each listing means I can personally vouch for the supermarket’s existence; this list will be updated as I discover more.
Amsterdam Schiphol, airport code: AMS*
– Albert Heijn: there’s a shopping center in the airport Arrivals Hall, where the buses/cars enter the terminal, and one level up from the train station. Drinks, snacks, prepared foods such as Indonesian rice dishes.
Brussels, airport code: BRU
– Louis Delhaize: In the Arrivals Hall. This one not only has typical supermarket products, but also a small post office.
Budapest, airport code: BUD
– SPAR: In the arrivals level of Terminal 2B. Open daily from 06:00 to 22:00.
(thank you to readers lp and db for this one!)
Copenhagen, airport code: CPH
– Netto: Not exactly in the terminals, Netto is by the roundabout adjacent to the P11 standard parking lot.
Dubai, airport code: DXB*
– Carrefour: Terminal 3, Arrivals Hall. Unlike most of the other listings, this one is 24 hours.
Frankfurt, airport code: FRA:
– REWE: Terminal 1, by The Square at the airport rail station.
Geneva, airport code: GVA
– Migros: Shopping level of the Geneva Airport train station, open daily
Helsinki, airport code: HEL
– Alepa: In the arrivals hall, and it’s open 24 hours.
Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen, airport code: SAW*
– Airport Market: if you have just arrived, it’s all the way to the right in the Arrivals Hall. Drinks, snacks, and a sandwich/meze (appetizer) counter.
London Heathrow, airport code: LHR
– Marks & Spencer: In the Arrivals Halls of Terminals 2, 3, and 5.
London Luton, airport code: LTN
– M&S Simply Food: Landside (pre-security), near the Aelia Duty Free shop, plus it’s 24 hours.
Manchester (UK), airport code: MAN
– SPAR: Arrivals Hall of Terminal 1, open 24 hours a day
Munich, airport code: MUC*
– Edeka: Terminal 2, Level 3.
Paris Charles de Gaulle, airport code: CDG
– Marks & Spencer: Terminal 2, section E.
Prague, airport code: PRG
– Billa: in Terminal 2 (but also accessible to Terminal 1 passengers, per NWAT reader Ben.) Hours: M-F 06:00-21:00, Sat/Sun 07:00-21:00.
Singapore Changi, airport code: SIN*
– FairPrice Finest: Terminal 3, Basement 2. Also, in the Jewel shopping complex, Basement 2.
Vienna Schwechat, airport code: VIE*
– Billa: Terminal 1, Arrivals Hall.
Zurich Kloten, airport code: ZRH
– Migros: Ground floor, between the railway station and car rental desks.